These flavorful balls are great either hot or cold, enjoy them as part of a quick grab out of the fridge breakfast or snack or enjoy hot as the main protein portion of your dinner. They’re a hit at parties too! This family-size recipe makes about 80 sausage balls. The recipe will serve 6 to 8 people with leftovers for the rest of the week.
Servings: 6 to 8; Approximately 80 Sausage Balls
– 2 lbs ground sausage
– 1/2 cup THM Baking Blend (or a combination of almond flour and oat fiber or coconut flour)
– 1/2 medium onion (very finely diced), or 1/4 cup dried minced onion mixed with 1/4 cup water
– 1 egg
– 8 oz cheddar cheese
– 1 & 1/2 tsp mineral salt
– 1 tsp onion powder (and/or garlic powder)
– 1 tsp sage (ground)
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (only needed if you don’t use spicy sausage)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. The fastest results will be with your hands. Squeeze the mixture into balls with those same sticky hands. Place the balls on 2 parchment lined 9 × 13-inch baking sheets.
3. Bake for 20 minutes. Some of the cheese will melt out during the baking, but that’s okay, it makes them even yummier.
4. Use a spoon to push the melted cheese back toward each ball (you don’t have to get fussy about it; you just don’t want to waste any cheese). Return the balls to the oven and broil the top of the balls for 3 to 5 more minutes, watching carefully so they don’t burn.