Why wait for Thanksgiving or Christmas day? Start enjoying the taste of the Holidays today with this full-size version of the very popular single-size Cranberry Upside Down Cake! This cake is gorgeous and delicious!
Servings: 8 or more people
For the Batter…
– 1 cup *THM Baking Blend (or, 1/3 cup each: golden flax meal, coconut flour, almond flour)
– 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
– 3 eggs
– 1/4 cup melted butter
– 1/3 cup sour cream
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp orange extract (or grated orange rind, optional)
– 1/4 cup THM Super Sweet Blend
– 1 dash mineral salt
For the Topping…
– 1/4 cup melted butter
– 2 Tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil (or use more butter)
– 1 Tbsp orange rind (grated or sliced)
– 2 Tbsp THM Super Sweet Blend
– cranberries (fresh or frozen)
– nuts (chopped; optional)
– orange zest (grated)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the THM Baking Blend (or the golden flax meal, coconut flour, and almond flour mixture) and baking powder.
2. Crush up the clumps, mix well and set aside.
3. In another small mixing bowl, combine the eggs, melted butter, sour cream, vanilla, orange extract or grated orange rind, THM Super Sweet Blend, and the mineral salt.
4. Blend above ingredients well, then add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and set aside.
5. Melt the butter and oil for the topping and pour into the bottom of a round 9-inch pan.
6. Sprinkle evenly with the 2 Tbsp of Super Sweet Blend and then evenly distribute the desired amount of cranberries to cover the bottom of the pan, add orange zest and nuts if desired.
7. Gently spoon batter over the topping mix, distributing evenly.
8. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.
9. Invert onto flat plate or serving tray and spoon out any of the topping still clinging to the pan.
10. Serve warm or cold.
11. Double the recipe to make a 9×13 pan.
* Using the THM Baking Blend in this recipe might produce a slightly denser cake than if using the coconut flour + golden flax + almond meal option.
Serving Suggestions & Variations:
– This can be made with other berries such as raspberry or blueberry. You can also add nuts to the batter or the topping, if desired.
– A little grated orange or lemon rind in the topping gives it a pop of citrus flavor.
– For a dairy-free version – use Coconut oil or Dairy Free Butter Spread and leave out the sour cream, adding an extra egg or some almond milk to make up the difference in moisture.